Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Dugout Fan Cave

In 2008 I converted my garage to a sports bar.  I have over 20 years memorabilia that sat in boxes.
During that time I was always searching for the color formulation for Green Monster in Fenway Park and the color for the scoreboard.  I finally found them.  When the colors didn't look natural under fluorescent lights I changed the lights in the garage to sunlight bulbs to best bring out the actual color.
It doesn't work.  You need the actual sun to make a painted room look exactly like Fenway Park.  I did the best I could.  With the garage doors open and direct sun on the walls you do see the actual color.  However, most entertaining and games are done in the evening.
I made the bar with a brick veneer to look like the bar at Fenway's 406 Club.  My bar stools are from my favorite college (VCU) hangout.  The place was closing and the owner sold off things.  Me and my fraternity brother room mate bought 4 bar stools for $20.  My 2 remained with me.  I think his got lost somewhere between Virginia and California. 

Some of my seating is from the Spectrum and Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia.  Even my door stop has a story.  It is a brick from the old JFK Stadium in Philadelphia.  I saw an Army Navy game there, an old WFL Philadelphia Bell football game, The Who (The Clash opened) and Live Aid.