Friday, December 17, 2010

Vet Stadium Seats

Vet Seats
Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, home of the Phillies and the Eagles, closed in 2004.  Prior to MLB All Star game in 1996 the city (owners) changed the seats from a multi-colored (by levels) to all blue.  The place sat 65,000 for baseball but on most nights only 20,000 bothered to show up.  This resulted in a bright yellow upper level that remained mostly empty for all TV cameras to see.
I attended my first baseball game the first year the place opened in 1971.  I do not have a ticket stub but remember the opponent was the Montreal Expos.  I remember names like Deron Johnson and Roger Freed and Don Money from that time.   I had an aunt with season tickets in Section 714 in the mid-late 70's.  I was the recipient of many of those tickers including a 1977 and a 1978 NLCS game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.  As we got older the neighborhood kids were dropped off at the stadium for 50 cent 700 level tickets by a parent and picked up after the game. 
My first Eagles game was in the late 70's against the New York Jets.  I didn't start going to Eagles games on a regular basis until my adult years.
Even though it was the same stadium, for baseball it lacked character and any fan appeal.  For football it was a legitimate place (with the exception of the Astroturf).
I chose to place the seats on a kelly green base with the old Eagles logo.  Even though I attended 10 times more Phils games at the place, I chose the green base over Phillies red because the place just wasn't a memorable baseball stadium.  The current Eagles green is a god-awful color and the logo sucks.  I own no apparel or memorabilia from with the current Eagles green or logo.  So I chose the old green, hoping one day the team goes back to its roots.