Saturday, February 26, 2011

Newspaper Collection

A business owner where I used to live in NJ had a bank of newspaper honor boxes.  I noticed in the back a few older boxes that looked like they were being disgarded.  I asked but was told a news service was coming by to pick them up.
Much time past and no pick up.  I asked again.  This compelled the guy to make a phone call to get the boxes off his property.
After a few more months he told me to help myself.  It looked like whoever owned the boxes had no interest in them.  I helped myself to the NY Post paper as it was the paper I purchased daily anyway.

Today it is filled with close to a hundred sports related papers, most championship papers.  Most recent is the Philadelphia Daily News Roy Halladay No Hitter .  Several Stanley Cup local papers from the New York Rangers, NJ Devils, Tampa Bay Lightning, Colorado Avalanche, Carolina Hurricanes.  Many baseball World Championship papers. 
The paper in the window of this photo was the final night of the "old" Yankee Stadium.  My business partner went to the game and brought me back a paper.
What are not in the box are several laminated front pages I had sealed back in the 80s.  People warned about laminating newspapers but, surprisingly, they looked good the last time I pulled them out.
Chicago Trib/Bears 85 Super Bowl, Phila Inquirer/Phils 80 WS, Phila Daily News/Villanova 85 NCAA.
One of the coolest papers I have is a Philadelphia Inquirer with a picture on the front sports page of Eric Lindros and my son.  The playoffs were going on and an Inquirer photographer asked to take several pics of my boy at a Flyers practice.  One made it on the front sports page of the paper.